Jim Rivera, 96

Research is the key in The Game Of All Games (http://www.stiffs.com/enter/), and information is precious. Therefore, DO NOT blurt out anything you may have heard about a celebrity's health, or even the fact that a famous person is really old, UNLESS that info has appeared on stiffs.com's SickTicker, OR, you have seen or heard it yourself on CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, Fox, AND the Drudge Report. When in doubt, shut the fuck up.

Please also refrain from making public the names of any write-in candidates that have not yet been approved by the Fame Committee. If you don't know what the Fame Committee is, see this immediately.

Be aware, too, that this forum is NOT the place to promote your own shitty dead pool.

One more rule: have fun.
Forum rules
Research is the key in The Game Of All Games (http://www.stiffs.com), and information is precious. Therefore, DO NOT blurt out anything you may have heard about a celebrity's health, or even the fact that a famous person is really old, UNLESS that info has appeared on stiffs.com's SickTicker, OR, you have seen or heard it yourself on CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, Fox, AND the Drudge Report. When in doubt, shut the fuck up.

Please also refrain from making public the names of any write-in candidates that have not yet been approved by the Fame Committee. If you don't know what the Fame Committee is, see this immediately: www.stiffs.com/blog/kpr

Be aware, too, that this forum is NOT the place to promote your own shitty dead pool.

One more rule: have fun.

Jim Rivera, 96

Postby ctredbird » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:27 pm

‘Jungle Jim’ Rivera, member of 1959 ‘Go-Go’ White Sox, dies at 96

Sun-Times Staff

Jim Rivera, a member of the White Sox 1959 American League champion team, died Monday at 96, in Fort Wayne, Ind.

“Jungle Jim” Rivera, an outfielder, played for the Sox from 1952-61, batting .257 with 134 doubles, 50 triples 77 home runs, 382 RBI and 146 stolen bases over 1,010 games.

“Jim was a key member of the Go-Go White Sox teams of the 1950s, teaming with fellow outfielders Minnie Minoso, Jim Landis and others,” the White Sox said in a statement. “It was amazing to see the friendship and camaraderie among those men whenever they gathered together at a Sox game, even if it was decades after they last played together. We imagine they are having quite a clubhouse meeting today.”

Rivera appeared in all five games of the 1959 World Series against the Dodgers. He also played for the St. Louis Browns in 1952 and the Kansas City Athletics in 1961.

After retiring, he owned and operated the Captain’s Cabin Restaurant in Angola, Indiana, for 23 years.

“Thank God I was able to play baseball. Without it, I wouldn’t have been anything. I wouldn’t have even met [his wife] Nancy,” he told the Sun-Times in 2002. “I first saw her in my restaurant and said, There she is! That’s the one for me.’ I had to chase her for a year, but it was worth it. She’s the greatest.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another good TTM'er. Not a good day to be a really, really old baseball player.
ctredbird
Criminally Insane

Re: Jim Rivera, 96

Postby ScottLevison » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

The highway sign in my avatar isn't here in Florida...but it should be...
ScottLevison
Criminally Insane

Re: Jim Rivera, 96

Postby Boomshadow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Jungle Pam is inconsolable.
"You never push a noun against a verb without trying to blow up something."
— H.L. Mencken
Boomshadow
Criminally Insane

Return to Come On In